KDHE testing has been limited to the following:
- Healthcare workers and first responders who have COVID-19 symptoms.
- Potential clusters of unknown respiratory illness; priority given to long-term care facilities and health care facilities.
- Hospitalized patient with no alternative diagnosis.
- Individuals over the age of 60 who have symptoms of COVID-19; priority given to people who reside in nursing homes, long term care facilities, or other congregate settings.
- Individuals with underlying health conditions that would be treated differently if they were infected with COVID-19.
COVID-19 tests are only being conducted with a medical provider's order, if the patient presents with risk factors after completing a verbal and physical health screening. Community members MUST “call before they go” to their healthcare provider's office if they are experiencing symptoms, have traveled recently, or have been exposed to someone with confirmed COVID-19. Symptoms include a temperature of 100 degrees or higher, cough, and shortness of breath.
COVID-19 tests for patients that do not meet the criteria will be sent to Quest Diagnostics Laboratory in Lenexa, KS, with an expected turnaround time of 2 to 3 days after specimens are collected. Testing through Quest results in a $98.00 charge that is billable to a patient’s insurance. Insurance companies, including Medicare and Medicaid, are required by recent federal legislation to waive the co-payment for these tests; however, patients will remain responsible for any deductible. Patients without insurance will be covered by Medicaid.